So, yet again I'm going to be lame and late. Exam week is certainly giving me a run for my money, but today's little wonder is the fact that I can't stop thinking about spending part of my summer in Kilmarnock. For as long as I can remember, each summer was filled with many weekend trips to Kilmarnock, and this summer is looking to be much the same.
Kilmarnock, for those of you who aren't lucky enough in life to have experienced it, is a little town on the Northern Neck, right on the Chesapeake Bay. I have a LOT of family there, and it is by far my favorite place in the entire world. It has that "small town" charm about it. Shoot- Ralph Lauren thought so when he taped commercials for his "American Living" line there!
My grandparents have two houses in this beautiful town, and I love getting to visit with them. One house is right on the bay, with a gorgeous view and ample water to go tubing or jet skiing on. (It's also the greatest place for 4th of July fireworks!) The other house is Clifton, the future site of my wedding reception. Clifton was built by Landon Carter in 1785 and has pretty much been in my family ever since. It's got all of these unique little characteristics, and my grandfather is the best at giving tours of it! It's a historical landmark, and probably one of the coolest places you'll ever visit. The main hallway has 2 big staircases, one for guys, one for girls, and the stairs are slanted! It's so elegant, just like my grandparents. There are lots of rumors about ghosts, but I don't believe them, haha! Also, I feel the need to point out that Clifton is where the Hudnall's spend all major holidays: every Thanksgiving there are countless chairs added to the already huge dining room table, every Christmas there's a tree in the hallway that's bigger than the Trible Library's Christmas tree, every Easter there's an Easter egg hunt in the garden (usually with money involved!)
Kilmarnock may easily be one of the hidden wonders of the world. I can't wait until later this summer when I get to update this thing with pictures of our summer adventures in Kilmarnock.
No comments:
Post a Comment