Friday
It all started at about 1 p.m. when a little baby blue Thunderbird pulled up with the top down. I was sitting outside of Panera with a suitcase in hand, ready to go. The little old man I am lucky enough to call "Pop" climbed out and kissed me on the cheek. We put my stuff in the trunk and then had lunch. We talked, and it was so nice to have him all to myself. Don't get me wrong: I love my family, but the afternoon of having Pop all to myself is one of those moments I'll never forget. After we enjoyed the nice lunch, we were off. He kept commenting about the funny looks he was expecting: an older man with a pretty young girl in the front seat of his car-sketchy. But, no looks, or at least none that I could see. We got stuck in some traffic along the way, but it was a holiday weekend, what do you expect? Needless to say, we had plenty of fun jammin' to everything from Norah Jones to Jimmy Buffett. Per a usual trip home to Kilmarnock, we stopped at Short Lane for ice cream. That is one staple of the drive to never be overlooked. We also stopped at a little church on the way home, and he showed me the burial site of my 6th great-grandfather. Pop is always good for a little history lessonn. After what felt like thousands of miles in the sunshine, and passing what felt like thousands of corn fields, I was home.
We arrived in Kilmarnock, got to the little blue house at the end of the road, and enjoyed a nice visit on the back deck with the elegant lady that I am blessed to know as my grandmother. She is so classy in every aspect of life. We sat there for hours and watched boats pull in and out of the creek, and the big barges heading down the bay. This house has a view like no other. After we had done our "catching up" since my last visit, my grandmother went inside and started making dinner. I went out to the dock and started my new book: my grandmother has a way with books, and always knows the best ones to reccommend. During this particular adventure I started "Water for Elephants." It was so peaceful to listen to the waves crashing on the shore and the birds flying overhead. By the time dinner was ready I had reached page 62. We had dinner and did the dishes, only to go back out to the dock and talk some more. It was so great: and my grandparents are two of the cutest people to talk to. They've been married 49 years and it is so evident to see that they are still as in love with each other as they were when they got married. We all quickly called it a night, and I got to sleep in that cute little pink and green room of mine that overlooks the bay.
Saturday
We got up, had the classic Hudnall breakfast of pancakes, sausage, and coffee, and we were off. It was the 1st Saturday of the month, meaning that it was a farmer's market day in Irvington. We got there at about 9:30, just in time for it to really be starting. Mom-Mom and I walked up and down rows and rows of little tents: each with their own special trade or something to sell us. A few favorites in this particular market included the window art of melted glass dishes, the chair made out of neckties, and of course the JEWELRY! Needless to say, I was spoiled. I got some really cute earrings, an elephant necklace, a travel-bag, and lots of books! Once the clock hit 11:30 we were ready to head back to the house. I laid out in the sun and we both read our books, and then the phone rang. Joe, Lisa, and Jacob had heard that I was in town, and were curious as to whether or not I would enjoy a boat ride down to Reedville for lunch. OF COURSE! So we were off. I spent the afternoon with them, and it was so much fun to just stay on the water. That evening I got back, and Jake and I enjoyed "The Wizard of Oz." Pop and I had dinner, and then there was my oh-so favorite: late night boat ride on the creek! These are the best-seriously. Complete with a history lesson of the creek and all. I asked Pop what he was planning for the big 50th anniversary next year, his response?- "I'm not sure if I'm gonna take her to McDonald's or Lee's Diner." We got back and enjoyed ice cream and fireworks on the creek. Good times.
Sunday
Oh Sunday morning-time for church! On the way to church, Pop was singing along to the Gospel Hymns soundtrack that they have. His raspy, thick southern accent made it all the more worthwhile. Church lasted a whopping 30 minutes, long for a St. Francis standard, and we were off. We did some grocery shopping, and I was told by a family friend that I "look like a Hundall, that's for sure." I took that as a compliment. When we got back to the house it was preparation time, later in the day there would be many people there, and the house needed to be perfect. It didn't take too long, because that little blue house is already perfect, so my job was easy. Momma and my sisters arrived about noon, and we went out to lunch at a new little sports bar in town: it was actually really good! We got back, everyone put their swimsuits on, and it was time to go swimming. No, not in a pool, but in the creek. Can you say seaweed? Jellyfish? Fish? Crabs? Other sea creatures? Oh well, everyone had a really great time, and managed to get out just in time for the jellyfish to really start appearing in full force. By 5 p.m. the rest of the family had arrived: I have so many aunts, uncles, cousins, and family friends that it is sometimes hard to keep track of them all! I love my family so much though. After we all enjoyed a nice cookout, the sun started to go down, and it was fireworks time. I had the pleasure of watching them with my favorite little 2-year-old Isabella. She was so excited, and rightly so, because the Hudnalls do fireworks the right way. Pop and David went and started to set them off, amidst "Ooo's" and "Ahh's" from up and down the creek. Then, something went wrong and fireworks started shooting off in every direction. "Oh no!" was shouted by just about every person on the deck watching with us. Once it was all back in order, they set off the next batch of fireworks, and silly little Isabella started shouting "Oh no!" upon every boom! We reassured her, fireworks are good, she should scream "Yay!" and she did.
After sitting in a lot of traffic on the way back to Chesapeake last night, my weekend was complete when we got home at about 12:30. What a weekend. Thanks to two of the greatest people in the entire world for a weekend I'll never forget. I love you both so much.
I am so blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment