So, here we are. After 7 months of planning this crazy adventure has finally begun. I’ll warn you though, this is going to be more of a tale of my adventures than a regular Life’s Little Wonders post. Don’t worry though, I’ll still highlight some Wonders along the way.
But, at about 4:30 this morning Momma and I were off for the airport, Becca wanted to tag along for the adventure. My stuff all managed to fit in my cute little red suitcase and my Dooney & Burke purse/laptop bag. It took about 35 minutes to get to the airport, thank goodness! Momma kept warning me about all the dangers of a big city like Miami, and Becca kept watching Valentine’s Day in the back seat. (She kept replaying certain scenes, and for awhile Momma and I wondered why, but we immediately discovered that it was only the scenes with Taylor Lautner in them, go figure. She is so cute, my little Boo Boo. The Volvo pulled up to the front door, and we said our goodbyes. It was almost something you’d see in a movie.
Today’s Little Wonder? Traveling. I love traveling, and the people you meet in airports.
It only took about 15 minutes to get through security, and I had checked in yesterday on the computer, so this 5 a.m. airport traveler was quite pleased. I went to the gate where my flight to Atlanta would be, and sat with an older couple as we waited. They were celebrating their 60th wedding anniversary, and were off to Atlanta to celebrate with their family. They reminded me a great deal of my grandparents, who are getting ready to celebrate the big 5-0. I got on board, and sat patiently waiting for my flight: it was finally here. Then, a young, very attractive, young Air Force officer came and sat next to me, uniform and all. His name was Ray, and he had just gotten home from a deployment in Afghanistan. However, our lovely flight attendants proceeded to ruin our great conversation when they offered him an empty seat in first class: free of charge. Don’t get me wrong, I’m all about supporting our troops, and I think it was a fantastic display of American pride to give him that seat, but he was really nice and I wanted to talk to him, dangit!
Our flight landed in Atlanta, and I was in a big rush to make it to my next flight, the big one: Atlanta to Miami! Our flight into the ATL actually arrived early, so I wasn’t too worried about time. They had moved the gate that I had to be at, and when I arrived I heard on the speakers “Now boarding all zones” so I freaked out thinking I was late, but in fact they had just started boarding the plane, so life was good. I got on the flight to Miami to find out we had a female pilot, reminding me of the time when my great-grandmother refused to fly because there was a woman in the cockpit. This time, however, our pilot seemed very pleasant and comfortable with her job, and I had full faith in her. I sat next to a very pleasant lady who, it turns out, is retiring and moving to Ecuador, and this is just a trip for her to take some of her stuff down there. Must be nice.
I landed in Miami at about 10:30, and walked down to the baggage claim area, and met a nice young lady who would then walk me to the bus, and guess who was waiting for me on the bus…SABINA! Oh my goodness I was so excited to see a friendly face! We got to the hotel which is fabulous, checked in, hung up all of our pretty dresses, and then we went to lunch at a cute little sports bar here at the hotel. After lunch, we found the Alpha Phi Marketplace: a sorority girl’s heaven. There were vendors upon vendors of Alpha Phi merchandise, and oh the deals! So far I have bought a t-shirt, a tote bag, and a coffee mug, in addition to the free t-shirt and tote bag I got upon my arrival. We then napped, and I watched my lovely Spain beat out Germany!
Dinner was great, and we got to reunite with a bunch of sisters we met a few months ago! The rest of the evening consisted of lots of meetings, but needless to say, I am very excited for what is to come.
I am so blessed.
No comments:
Post a Comment