Thursday, July 8, 2010

Day 80: July 8, 2010

Oh my gosh what a day. I laughed and cried, and everything in between.

Today's adventures began rather early this morning with a breakfast, and although it wasn't the best breakfast I've ever had, the coffee was phenomenal. Like, we're talking some of the best coffee I've ever had. There were opening ceremonies and Convention Assembled and all sorts of other ways to celebrate my sisterhood, and ultimately, that was my Little Wonder of the day: This Sisterhood.

Sometimes I wonder why on earth I joined a sorority. I was honestly the last girl you could ever think of that would be part of something like this, but I thank God for the blessing in my life that is Alpha Phi, and the wonderful people I get to call my sisters.

For example, on the way to breakfast I got to meet an alum named Vi, who graduated from Kent State what must have been ions ago. She was absolutely adorable. I loved hearing her stories of when she rushed. I've also been priviledged to meet the presidents of many other chapters, including, but not limited to VT and WVU. They're nothing short of amazing. We have had lots of time for bonding and learning, and I am in awe of them.

After lunch we had one of our keynote speakers present, and she was amazing. Liz Murray grew up in the slums of New York, with drug-addicted parents, and pretty much raised herself. She overcame all adversities and wound up going to Harvard! Her story was so inspiring that I wound up already ordering a copy of her book!

Then, tonight, we had an initiation ceremony for 5 individuals. Several were moms of sisters, several were friends, but at the end of the night they all became my sisters, too. It was so cool to experience our Ritual with people from all over the United States and Canada. Needless to say, there was a bit of a sobfest, and everyone was in awe.

So, tonight, as I sit in the lobby of the hotel and watch awkward old men try to pick up all of my sisters, I am grateful for Alpha Phi, all of my sisters, and all of the experiences I have been fortunate enough to have.

I am so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment