Monday, July 12, 2010

Day 83: July 11, 2010

I apologize for this being so late, but I didn't have internet access until this morning...this is what I wrote yesterday!

So, I’m sitting here at the Miami International Airport, in a sports bar, watching a soccer game. On UniVision. And Spain just scored. Life doesn’t get much better than this.

It’s been an amazing few days in Miami. I know I keep saying it over and over again, but I am so fortunate to be part of such a loving sisterhood. Especially, when days like today roll around.

One of our sisters lives in Miami, and because my flight didn’t leave until later today, she showed me around town. We saw the houses of Al Pacino, Gwen Stefani, AND Celine Dion. Talk about starstruck. I was so excited. She then took me our for sushi, my first experience with sushi (interesting…) and then took me to the airport so I could watch my beloved Spain win the World Cup.

-Break-

What a day. Now, a few hours later, as I’m finally on my last plane of this summer, I could not be more grateful to be mid-air. The flight from Miami to Atlanta was very bumpy, and our pilot was so polite that he allowed every other plane to go ahead of him, making us last in line… and 30 minutes late in arriving to Atlanta. Immediately I was in panic mode thinking I wouldn’t make my next flight, and began warning my sister that I would have to call my Georgia family and beg for a couch to crash on. I got off my plane in a hurry, thanks to Rodrigo who helped with my bag, and approached the AirTran Attendant waiting at the gate to tell us of connecting flight updates (I figured that since nobody bothered to tell me of the gate change last time I was at this airport, I might as well take it on myself.). When I asked her politely about Flight 906 to Newport News, she barked at me as if I was a dog, shouting “Gate C20, Left!”

I immediately ran to Gate C20, bypassing any of the restaurants because of lack of time. I made it in time to catch this flight, obviously because we sat at the Gate for an extra 20 minutes, due to a broken AC unit. It then took our pilot another 30 minutes to make his way around all of our runways, and we watched as 7 other planes took off. It was finally our turn, and now we are happily in the air on our way home.

But, the Little Wonder today is none other than this flight delay. May seem a little odd, that a flight delay/inconvenience would be a Wonder, but, the people I’m sitting with right now have made this one of the most entertaining evenings of my entire life. There were comments made about AC plans C, D, and E, about flipping off other planes as they got to take off before we did, and my favorite, about the really big sign that said “FLY DELTA AIR” on the side of the runway-apparently that was a sign from God. There was lots of laughter on this flight, and even a round of applause as we finally took off, 50 minutes later.

Now, I’m sitting on this plane, probably somewhere over South Carolina, just patiently awaiting that landing, when I can finally get home and back to normal.

But, here’s a big THANK YOU to the people I met on this flight who made the night so much better.

And a big THANK YOU to Momma who I know will be waiting ever-so-patiently at the airport for me.

If we had left on time, the plane would be landing right now. Fun.

I am so blessed.

No comments:

Post a Comment