Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Day 36: May 25, 2010

One year ago today was a sad day. I was leaving my beloved Spain, and I really did not want to return to the States: I had so much fun and enjoyed the Spanish way of life so much that I had asked my Mamma if she thought moving to Spain would be a possibility would be in my future. She was mortified at the thought of that, and that leaves me here in the "Land of the Free." I spent a lot of the morning missing Spain, after a horrible migraine when I woke up. This afternoon I returned to my apartment, still thinking about my beloved Spain. As I walked through the door I noticed the beautiful book that Cadie lent me yesterday on my coffee table. Immediately I was smiling from ear to ear with the thought that I had no plans for an entire afternoon and this book was calling my name. I really want my own copy of the combined collection: if only I wasn't saving up for tuition right now...

Anyone who knows me knows that I like Jane Austen. And anyone who really knows me, I've been obsessed with Jane Austen ever since I was the little six-year-old little girl sitting at the foot of my bed listening to Mamma read Pride and Prejudice. For the last fourteen years I have thoroughly enjoyed getting to live the lives of young women in England throughout the late eighteenth century. It is incredible to experience a time when a girl who is my age has one goal: to marry, especially into a wealthy lifestyle. Jane did a great job at succeeding in a man's world, and it inspires me to this day. No matter how elegant any of her stories are, it is incredible to read the satire and irony present in all of her stories. My favorite part of her writing is that there is always a way to relate to her characters. Lucky for me, this book has all six of her mainstream novels, in order of publication. (Note-their out of order in the way they were written, the first one written was actually the last one published.)

First, there is Pride and Prejudice. My first Jane novel. Obviously, it is easy for me to relate to Lizzie: I grew up in a house full of crazy women, with a micro-managing (but not as crazy) mother, and a father who makes wittier comments than anyone else in town. They are not very well off as a family, but they manage, and the parents are bound and determined to see all of their daughters lead successful lives. Lizzie is an independent spirit, smart, and charming. She doesn't settle for anything less than perfect, and only lets the truest love win her heart. Sound like me?

Second, there is Sense and Sensibility. My favorite Jane novel. This is the story of three sisters (sound familiar?), who are very close, yet very different. My character would be Elinor: the eldest, and most reserved of the girls. She constantly feels responsible for her family (yet again, sound familiar?), especially her little sister Marianne (aka Tori). Marianne is whimsical, wild, and a bit more appealing to men. The story tells of how they battle between true love and reason. It is my absolute favorite.

Third, Emma. My least favorite Jane novel. Yet again though, I can relate to her protagonist. Emma Woodhouse is a spoiled, smart, and energetic young woman. She always thinks she's right, and enjoys matchmaking. She's the type of person people cannot relate to, and people generally dislike her. She is easily jealous, which makes her realize she loves someone more than she ever let herself believe. Yet again, I'm Emma.

Fourth is Persuasion. Jane's last novel. Anne Elliot fell in love at a young age, but was persuaded out of it. He wasn't "good enough." Many of the guys I have dated have never been "good enough," according to my family. (Except for Michael, of course. He's perfect.) I, like Anne, am easily persuaded: it's one of my worst qualities, in my opinion. However, luckily for Anne, Frederick comes back many years later, only to find out that Anne is being pursued by someone else. Nice timing, right? My love life has always seemed to have an interesting time frame...

Fifth, good old Mansfield Park. Fanny is brilliant and loves to write. She comes from a family that is not so well-off, and goes to stay with some very wealthy relations.The story is about finding home and adapting to change. She grows from being an inconvenience on the Bertram family to being a vital member of the family. I am inspired by how her wit and good heart comes into play and how she manages in a man's world.

Last, Lady Susan. The only full Austen novel I have yet to read. I'm quite excited. :) 

So, here's to my summer full of reading, and hoping for my own copy of all of the Austen novels, including the shorter works (especially Northanger Abbey!).




No comments:

Post a Comment