Happy Memorial Day! Today was spent in the lovely Kilmarnock with all of my family. What an adventure this was: it all started with a drive with my adorable little sister. Tori picked me up early in the morning, and we drove in the little red sports car with the windows down and the music turned up. There is nothing better than driving on long country roads with windows rolled down. Once we reached the house, Pop asked if we were ready for a boat ride. We hopped on to the new boat, "Big Blue" as it is called, and headed off to Cockrel's Creek. Eagerly awaiting us at the dock was Heidi, a longtime family friend that always provides a good laugh.
We headed back to the house and spent the next 24 hours just relaxing on the dock, porch, or even in the house. That's the nice thing about waterfront homes: you can do whatever you want. My little wonder of the whole adventure? Spending lots of quality time with my grandparents. My grandparents are the most absolutely amazing people you will ever meet. Ever.
My grandfather has worked every day of his life since he could walk: nothing stops him. Not four heart attacks, not a MRSA infection, and now not skin cancer. He has done everything possible to provide for his children, and now us grandchildren. I appreciate it more than he will ever know. Then there's my grandmother: the classiest lady I've ever met. Seriously, this woman is the epitome of Southern elegance. We stayed up late last night talking about life and how crazy it is that times have changed since she was my age. Actually, to be more specific: when she was my age, she was married, with two children, and expecting my Mamma. Crazy, absolutely crazy. It's incredible to hear the stories my grandparents tell, of bee attacks and being chased by sheriffs and all of their fondest memories of growing up. I respect them and love them more and more every single day. They have this way of loving all of their grandchildren (and yes, there are quite a few of us...) equally and making us all feel like we are their favorite. They spoil us more than we could ever deserve.
Another fun part of any adventure home? Getting to see their love for each other. The way they look at each other is incredible, and they hold hands at dinner. They love and respect each other so much, and yes, while they can both have their moments, they treat each other like royalty. At almost 50 years of marriage, the way my grandfather looks at my grandmother just says it all: they're still crazy about each other. I hope that when I get married and we have kids and grandkids, my husband still looks at me the way my grandfather looks at grandmother. It's inspiring.
So here is a great big thank you to two of the most incredible people I am blessed to call my grandparents. Granted, they will probably never read this, but I hope they know how much I appreciate having them in my life. I love you two so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment